By Barbara Bonsignore.
Continued from the March 2016 Natural Buzz newsletter.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tsp. dried
- ¼ tsp. each marjoram and black pepper
- Tamari soy sauce to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed, whole grain bread
- ½ tsp. each sage and thyme
- 1 ¼ cups celery, diced
- 1 cup very hot water or vegetable broth
Saute onion, garlic, celery, and mushrooms in water with some wine added (non-alcoholic ok). Saute until barely tender, adding more water as needed. Stir in bread cubes and water or vegetable broth. Place in oiled baking dish and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with brown gravy if desired
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp. tamari soy sauce or Bragg Aminos (health food stores)
- 4 Tbsp. soy powder
In medium saucepan, mix tamari and cornstarch together well. Add remaining ingredients, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until gravy thickens and boils. Makes 2 cups.
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard (salad style or Dijon)
- Black pepper and tamari soy sauce or Bragg Aminos (health food stores) to taste
- ¾ cup red table wine (non-alcoholic ok)
Saute mushrooms, peppers, garlic, and onion in olive oil in large frying pan with water added. Saute, stirring constantly, until barely tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat 20 minutes. Add more water or vegetable broth if mixture dries out.
Sweet and Sour Eggplant
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- ½ cup pine nuts
Peel and slice eggplants. Steam in boiling water to cover until tender. Saute onion in oil until tender, adding water if mixture dries out. Combine onion and remaining ingredients. Pour over eggplant in oven-proof casserole dish. Bake in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- 6 large carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp. tamari soy sauce or Bragg Aminos (health food stores)
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- ¼ tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
Cook carrots in boiling water to cover until tender. Mix all other ingredients together in small bowl. Combine everything, mixing well. Serve hot.