The Concord Food Co-op is a natural foods grocery store, bakery, and café located in Concord and New London, New Hampshire. What began as a humble buying club more than 30 years ago has grown into one of the most successful natural food co-ops in the State. With a true community focus, the Co-op stocks its shelves with delicious foods from hundreds of local and regional farms and producers and offers free and low-cost wellness programs and food events that attract thousands of attendees annually. Approximately 70 cents on every dollar spent at the Co-op is reinvested into the local economy. The Co-op’s cafe and bakery skillfully create award-winning dishes and desserts available in-store, by special order, and for catered events. The Co-op also runs a separate Bakehouse producing certified gluten-free prepared foods and baked goods including vegan Cafe Indigo products. Everyone is welcome at the Co-op! You do not need to be a member to shop or take part in Co-op programs.
- Provide our community with high quality natural and organic foods and environmentally sound products at reasonable prices.
- Create a personable and friendly place to shop, with the product diversity to satisfy the grocery needs of most health and ecologically conscious households.
- Support environmentally and socially responsible producers and suppliers, including purchasing local and regional products where available within our price and quality standards.
- Provide service that is cheerful, courteous, and knowledgeable.
- Be a resource to our membership by providing information on health and nutrition, and social, political and economic issues related to food, and by promoting awareness of the value of consumer control through the cooperative system.
- Conduct our affairs according to consumer cooperative and financially sound principles and act as a supportive and caring employer.
The Concord Food Co-op evolved out of a community buying club established in the late 1970s. In 1982, the club incorporated and became an independent entity. The Co-op occupied many spaces throughout its infancy, and in 1993 it moved to its current location on South Main Street. In November of 2005, the store expanded, tripling its size and doubling the number of products offered. The expansion allowed for growth in every department and provided the space needed to introduce new services such as the Celery Stick Café, Wicked Whisk Bakery, and Grab n’ Go deli.
Early in 2009, the Concord Food Co-op was approached by a co-op in New London that was going into bankruptcy. In June of that year, we officially opened Concord Food Co-op of New London (then called Kearsarge Cooperative Grocer), a Lake Sunapee-area sister store of the Co-op.
In summer 2014, the Co-op negotiated an agreement with retiring owner of Cafe Indigo to take on the lease and continue to make the core line of vegan Cafe Indigo products including the famous carrot cake. Alongside the Cafe Indigo line, the Co-op’s bakers are also creating their own original lineup of prepared foods and baked goods, including certified gluten-free offerings, available for sale at the Co-op and wholesale to other stores. The Co-op’s bakehouse is located on Hall Street in Concord.
Currently, the Co-op has an active membership of approximately 7,000 households, and we continue to grow each day.